Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Cockroach in it's Natural Habitat

In a hot fury, Jayme departed to the upstairs and would not talk to either of us for the rest of the night.

Earlier that evening, the three us arrived home from somewhere.  'Home' being Yuichi's house in Kodaira.  We often stayed there on weekends.  Particularly extended weekends.  As soon as we'd arrive home, Yuichi would turn lights on and turn on the aircondtioner.  During the colder months, he'd turn on the heat.  This is because he turns everything off before leaving the house.

I opened a sliding glass door, for some reason or other, I went outside briefly.   Thinking I had closed the screen door behind me, I left the glass door open to let some air into the stuffy house.  I didn't realize that I had not secured the screen doors, leaving the doors wide open on the left side !  Not until this large bug came flying into the house from behind that curtain.  I was scolded by both my son and Yuichi.  Yuichi and Jayme went to investigate the night visitor.  They had to move the stereo system away from the wall.

Oh, how awesome.  We'd only seen these creatures in the zoo !!  Not only was Jayme excited to see such a large specimen, it was in it's natural habitat!  I began looking about for a glass in order to contain the insect.

Yuichi returned from the kitchen, apparently he had gone there to grab something from beneath the kitchen sink.  Before we could take our new friend into custody, Yuichi dowsed it with an aerosol bug killer.  Something like Raid. Jayme was entirely upset.  He stomped off to another room.

I felt terrible for my son.  I went to check on the creature.  It was moving.  Perhaps we can keep him afterall; now that Yuichi understands how we feel.  It all happend so fast.  I called to Jayme and there we were, the two of us, behind the stereo cabinet, ecstatically gazing over the reviving critter.  We were about to scoop him up into a container, when, once again, returning from the kitchen, Yuichi joined us.  Perhaps we made way for him.  Perhaps he instructed us to move out of his way.  Perhaps he said nothing.  I'm certain the both of us were thinking that since Yuichi understood our desire, he was there to assist.  As we were enthusiastically looking over our beloved house pest, Yuichi stabbed him in the heart with a toothpick !!

No comments:

Post a Comment