Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Electrician

Friday october 28 2011

We were having electric problems . . . my friend's husband just couldn't help us out tonight, last minute. my son took the panel off, replaced a breaker with an old breaker.  Still not sure if this fixed the problem, I had to run out to the meeting. I left as soon as I knew he'd be out of danger playing with the circuits.

I just knew this kid Don would be there. He's an electrician. Don appears to be in his thirties. He hangs with a guy named Dan. Dan is a twenty something. Kids. Don said he'd come right over  to have a look.  After the meeting, he stopped home to pick up some breakers. We went downstairs immediately as soon as he got here. He replaced the breaker, tightened up some things, cleaned up some things, all the while he telling me exactly what he was doing, and why he was doing it. He likes to clean things up. When my son showed up, he started showing him what he had been doing, showing him how to measure the voltage passing through the wires, testing the connections, they got real in depth about the wires coming into the house, talking about grounds and water and all kinds of stuff . . . I scooted the kid, the electrician, out the door because I knew he'd have to get up early for work the next day. I paid him handsomely because all the stuff he did and I knew he really inspired my son . . . I've always wanted the kid to take up a trade . . . to get some trade-like skills . . . soooo thus begins my tale . . .

later in the eve, my son comes to the room I was in. Standing in the doorway, he started to tell me how he was really "turned on," talking about all that "electricity stuff" got him excited. I was too tired to entertain a conversation but I was thinking "we'll have to look into the IBEW tomorrow". He proceeded to tell me, how he liked Don better than the tree guy. I had brought home someone (also from one of my meetings) to take care of some trees after the hurricane. I tried to "hook" my son up with the tree guy. Maybe he could learn the trade.  I took them both out for pizza when the job was finished, imagining that maybe my son could learn how to use the ropes, cut down those big limbs. The comparison didn't make sense, but before you know it, Jayme asks me if the electrician is single !!!!! I was so taken back . . . what?!!!!!!  I asked !!!!! My kid was so matter of fact, standing there so cool-like in the doorway, like such a mature person, for the first time I saw that the kid is actually quite a good looking young man. A young man standing so tall and so confident. When did he become so mature, so manly? I think he may have even mentioned something about Don's looks, perhaps he said something to the effect that Don is a decent looking guy, I don't recall, I was simply in a state of complete shock.  My eyes opened WIDE . . . I think my jaw dropped . . . He was being so forthright, I decided to be forthright with him, "are you gay?" My 21 year old son, replied, "oh my god, mom . . . . I was thinking for you"  He turned immediately, did an "about face" and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment